No Picture

Joint List MKs advocate for Palestinian citizens of Israel in Belgium, France

November 7, 2017 Middle East Monitor 0

A delegation of Members of Knesset from the Joint List is in Brussels this week, as part of efforts to advocate on behalf of the rights of Palestinian citizens of Israel. Participants in the advocacy mission, which is in the Belgian capital before heading to Paris, include MK Yousef Jabareen, MK Aida Touma-Suleiman, MK Jamal Zahalka and MK Masud Ghnaim. The Mossawa Centre director Jafar Farah is another member of the delegation, which seeks to “engage in constructive dialogue with European Belgian, and French state actors”. According to a press release, the delegation “will focus on issues relating to the Palestinian Arab minority in Israel” by “emphasising Israel’s obligation, according to Article Two of the EU-Israel Association Agreement, to respect […]

The post Joint List MKs advocate for Palestinian citizens of Israel in Belgium, France appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

Houthis in Yemen reveal possession of high precision naval missiles

November 7, 2017 Middle East Monitor 0

Yemen’s Houthis revealed yesterday that they possess locally manufactured, high precision naval missiles dubbed “Mandeb”. The Houthi controlled Saba news agency said Saleh Al-Samad, head of the Supreme Political Council formed jointly between the Houthis and the party of former President Ali Abdullah Saleh, was briefed on the new missile system in the port city of Hudaydah. According to the news agency, Al-Samad, accompanied by the Houthi Minister of Defence Mohamed Al-Atefi, and other officials yesterday visited the naval missile exhibition organised by the Navy and coastal defence in Hudaydah. It quoted the official as saying that “the new naval missiles are a great achievement that will add a qualitative leap in the battle equation with the enemy” in reference […]

The post Houthis in Yemen reveal possession of high precision naval missiles appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

Netanyahu earmarks millions for settler roads in occupied West Bank

November 7, 2017 Middle East Monitor 0

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced yesterday that he had earmarked 200 million shekels ($57 million) for settler roads in the occupied West Bank, Israeli media reported. Netanyahu delivered his remarks to hunger-striking and protesting settlers who had erected a tent in front of his residence, after a meeting with his Finance Minister Moshe Kahlon. The fund was allocated to complete roads going around the Palestinian city of Qalandiya and near the illegal Israeli settlement of Beit Aryeh in the central occupied West Bank. During a meeting with settler leaders in October, Netanyahu promised a security package worth 800 million ($228 million) would be part of the 2018 budget. According to the Times of Israel, Netanyahu said that the remaining […]

The post Netanyahu earmarks millions for settler roads in occupied West Bank appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

Kerry: Trump’s decision against Iran ‘dangerous’

November 7, 2017 Middle East Monitor 0

The Former US Secretary of State John Kerry yesterday warned that turning Iran’s nuclear deal to Congress would be “dangerous”, noting the collapse of the deal would turn the world in to a much more dangerous place, Arab48 reported. Last month, US President Donald Trump refused to recognise that Iran had fulfilled its part in the nuclear deal it signed with world powers. He did not cancel it, as he had threatened, but passed it to Congress for amendments. “It is important to note the simple things, the Iran nuclear deal is working, it is doing precisely what it was set up to do. President Trump’s decision to decertify the Iran deal made no reference to any fact whatsoever,” Kerry […]

The post Kerry: Trump’s decision against Iran ‘dangerous’ appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

Protests force deputy Israel FM to cancel Princeton talk

November 7, 2017 Middle East Monitor 0

A planned talk by Israeli Deputy Foreign Minister Tzipi Hotovely was cancelled by the Hillel Centre for Jewish Life at Princeton University, following a petition by progressive activists on campus. Following Hillel’s withdrawal, the talk went ahead after the Princeton Chabad stepped in and agreed to host the controversial senior diplomat. Hotovely is currently touring US campuses in order “to combat the growing influence of the Boycott, Sanctions and Divestment movement (BDS) in American universities”. Hotovely’s visit was opposed by a student group called the Alliance of Jewish Progressives, who organised a petition against the deputy minister on the basis of her opposition on Palestinian statehood and support for West Bank settlements. Read: Growing number of hip-hop artists cancel gigs in […]

The post Protests force deputy Israel FM to cancel Princeton talk appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

Fatah faced US pressure to undermine reconciliation

November 7, 2017 Middle East Monitor 0

A senior member of Fatah’s Central Committee has revealed that the Palestinian Authority and Fatah itself faced pressure from the US to undermine the reconciliation deal with Hamas last month, Quds News reported on Monday. Azzam Al-Ahmad told a conference in Amman that the first phase of implementing the reconciliation would end by 1 December. He noted that this phase included the “successful” handover of control at the border crossings. There were a few problems in the handover of the education ministry and the Palestinian Environment Authority, he added, but these were sorted out immediately. The Fatah official stressed the importance of Hamas being part of the Palestinian national movement regardless of its own principles. Furthermore, said Al-Ahmad, the government […]

The post Fatah faced US pressure to undermine reconciliation appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

Egypt: We will continue efforts to resume Palestine-Israel peace talks

November 7, 2017 Middle East Monitor 0

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi yesterday his Palestinian counterpart Mahmoud Abbas in Egypt’s coastal city of Sharm El-Sheikh to discuss the latest developments in the Israeli-Palestinian reconciliation issue and ways to revive the peace process in the Middle East, the Egyptian presidency announced. Presidency spokesperson, Bassam Rady, said that the two presidents discussed ways to revive the peace talks between the Palestinian Authority (PA) and Israel and the importance of continuing the reconciliation process. “Egypt will continue its efforts to resume the peace talks between the PA and Israel until reaching a just and comprehensive solution that ensures the Palestinians’ right to establish an independent state with East Jerusalem as its capital,” Al-Sisi said, as quoted by Rady. “This solution […]

The post Egypt: We will continue efforts to resume Palestine-Israel peace talks appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

Egyptian security forces block ex-presidential candidate’s press conference

November 7, 2017 Middle East Monitor 0

Egyptian security forces have blocked a press conference by former presidential candidate Khalid Ali, Masralarabia.com has reported. Security officers raided the printer who had prepared the documents for the lawyer’s press conference scheduled to be held on Monday, in which he was expected to discuss the election. “A few minutes ago, the security forces confiscated some of my papers and destroyed the remainder in a pre-emptive measure to undermine my proposed press conference,” Ali wrote on Facebook. “This confirms that the country does not accept any new vision which is alternative to the current poverty and authoritarian regime.” He insisted that the pre-emptive raid would not stop him from holding the press conference on time. “I stress that confiscating and […]

The post Egyptian security forces block ex-presidential candidate’s press conference appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

‘Hamas no longer responsible for Gaza residents’

November 7, 2017 Middle East Monitor 0

Senior Hamas official Mousa Abu Marzook said on Monday that his movement is no longer responsible for the residents of the Gaza Strip, Quds Net News has reported. He called for the Palestinian factions to put pressure on the Government of National Accord to carry out its duty and fulfil its responsibilities in the besieged enclave. Abu Marzook said that Hamas had smoothly and unconditionally handed over the territory in the hope that the leader of the rival Fatah movement, President Mahmoud Abbas, can afford to provide what Gaza’s Palestinian population need. “Only then,” he stressed, “will we be able to say with credibility that we have put the internal division behind us forever.” Insisting that “the enemy does not […]

The post ‘Hamas no longer responsible for Gaza residents’ appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

Official: Iran suspends participation in Umrah

November 7, 2017 Middle East Monitor 0

Head of Iran’s Hajj and Pilgrimage Organisation, Hamid Mohammadi said yesterday that citizens of his country will not participate in the performance of Umrah this year, citing political reasons and the lack of the necessary arrangements. “The Iranians cannot be sent to perform the Umrah ritual this year because of the lack of political communication between Tehran and Riyadh,” Mohammadi was quoted as saying. “The resumption of Iranians’ participation in the performance of Umrah needs special mechanisms,” he added. Discussions will take place between Iran and Saudi Arabia regarding the resumption of performing the Islamic rite. Read: Pakistan’s military chief visits Tehran amidst Saudi-Iran tension The official pointed out that the negotiations with Saudi Arabia this year dealt only with the […]

The post Official: Iran suspends participation in Umrah appeared first on aroundworld24.com.